Friday, October 1, 2010

What to do with all that Squash!


Well I've been totally over run with summer squash this year. I've got yellow squash and light green and dark green zucchini. I've been making squash stuff all summer like Lemon Squash Jam and Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Those two things are WORTH making again WOW is all I have to say about them. Let me tell you even your pickiest eater will NEVER guess that this has 2 cups of zucchini in it!

I've also made squash bread and butter pickles and squash dill pickles and squash pickle relish and zucchini bread. My most recent baking adventure with squash was a Zucchini Pineapple cake that I made for a going away party at work. I found the recipe here on page 359
Confederate Cookbook, The: Family Favorites from the Sons of Confederate Veterans
  Ingredients
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 cup cooking oil
2 cups zucchini peeled and grated ( I didn't peel mine and it was still good)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup raisins ( I didn't use any)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nuts (I put in a cup instead)
1 cup crushed pineapple drained
Instructions beat eggs until fluffy, add sugar, vanilla, oil and zucchini. Blend well Add dry ingredients and mix well. stir in pineapple, raisins and nuts. Bake in a large greased and floured loaf pan or two small ones at 325 degree oven for one hour. cool in pan on wire rack.
Must be my elevation but I had to cook it almost an hour and a half or longer. 

It was really good and the people at worked liked it so I guess it's on my list of things to make again also. If you have extra squash in your garden these are some great recipes to try out.

3 comments:

  1. Yumm! looks so good , its amazing what you can find to use garden veggies for

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had no idea you could do all that with the lowly squashes and zuchinni, which grow like a weed in most gardens.
    Sounds so yummy! I'll have to try some of those recipes next year when we try gardening again.
    Do you have a good pickling recipe to share, too?
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I've got several good pickling recipes for the squash. Do you need them right away? Do you like A dill style or a Sweet pickle better? Do you want the Sweet pickle relish with zucchini recipe also? Let me know what you want to try and I'll copy them and bring them with me at the end of the month to the ride.

    ReplyDelete