A little while back, I posted about how I wanted to start sprouting seeds to feed my chickens and eventually my horses as well. Once I got back from my last ACTHA ride, I started my experiments. I started by buying several seed starting trays with clear domes like these shown below.
I had some left over Indian Corn that I had grown 2 years ago. I had been grinding it up to add to the Chickens diet, but with the amount I had left over It was the right amount to try 4 days of sprouting experiments with. I also got a bag of whole oats to try and grow oat grass. So I thought I'd mix the oats and the corn. Well that's not working so well. The 2 year old Indian corn is sprouting within 24-48 hours but none of the oats over the last 4 days have sprouted. If I continue this, the Corn will have to be separate from the oats. Additionally next week I'll be able to pick up some whole wheat and some whole barley to try. More on the experiment when I actually feed it to the chickens.