Saturday, March 20, 2010

What to make with Leftover Cabbage

After St. Patrick's Day people often have either some left over potatoes or some left over cabbage.
I found a really good recipe that I just made last night. It was good enough for Keith to go back for seconds and it nearly totally got polished off for dinner. 
It's called Cabbage Colcannon
1 Lb new Potatoes halved ( I only had a couple russet potatoes and one sweet potato) so I did a little substituting. I diced mine up 
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil. ( I used olive oil)
1 small onion thinly sliced
1/2 head green cabbage thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste 
3 tablespoons salted Irish Butter divided 

1. boil potatos 20 minutes our until tender then drain well

2. heat oil in large skillet and add the onion and cook 8 minutes or until slightly browned, Add the sliced cabbage and cook 5 minutes or until softened. 

3 Add the potatoes to the skillet and cook until heated through. Slightly mash the potatoes and season with the salt and pepper. Add the butter to each portion just before serving. I substituted here and added one single tablespoon of hearth healthy spread to the full mixture before serving.

I really like this recipe and it will be great to make with the fresh cabbages I plan on growing in the garden this year.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful. I'm going to give it try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete