Thursday, March 25, 2010

Woodworking

I haven't been doing much woodworking lately but I've done several pieces in the past.


This prairie dog was done for a friend. First I  burned the design and then colored it in with oil pencil. These are awesome for color control on wood projects.
Oil Pencils, 36 Color Set 




These three are still here at the house. The carousel box in the back is my favorite. It was completely burned and took a long time to make. Then I used the oil pencil for the colors. The small horse head box in the foreground was done by carving the head in first and then wood burning the sides and details. The horse head plaque was done all in carving and then painted to the same colors as my old gelding Hobo. 

I learned some of my skills and got some of my talent from my dad who did the following items.

 He also did things like full duck decoys, lathe turned vases and candle sticks and wooden toys. I'm sure he got his talent from his ancestry because I have this wonderful small wooden box dates as best I can tell around 1849.  I'm not sure if it was made in Norway and brought here to the USA or if it was made here after my ancesters moved from Norway, but the writing what little is left is in Norwegian and I can't read it. 

I hope to get back to doing some more wood crafting in the near future.I just haven't decided what to make yet.

2 comments:

  1. Very Cool. I have an idea. This spring I want to go get some drift wood and do some stuff on it. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never worked with driftwood, we don't get much of that here in the desert.

    ReplyDelete