Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cornmeal

Cornmeal is a useful item to have in the cabinet. What is even better is to make your own fresh ground cornmeal. Yesterday I pulled out the grain mill attachment for my kitchen aid stand mixer and some of my home-grown popcorn and made my own cornmeal.
Optional Attachment - Grain Mill

With my fresh cornmeal, I made some cornmeal mush to cook up for Sunday breakfast.

Cornmeal mush is nothing more than ground corn and water boiled together for a bit and then  baked,  fried or even served hot as is. Cornmeal mush is the name commonly used in the southern United States, but if you are Italian, you may know it as polenta. Basically it's the same stuff with different names and different toppings.  In the southern US you will probably see fried cornmeal mush being topped with molassas or maple syrup and eaten for breakfast. In Italy, you may see polenta served with cheese, mushrooms or tomatos.  You can find variations of this dish all over the world from Central Europe to Africa to South America. 

Polenta lately has become a gourmet item found in high end restaurants and is becoming more popular, but it is still a very cheap addition to any meal. So if you feel like trying some polenta or cornmeal mush, click a few of the links below for a variety of recipies
or do a search on your own for more information.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. I've been hearing a lot about polenta lately and this is the best description I've seen.

    I just posted about my vacation plans to New Mexico. If you have a few minutes I would love it if you could read and give me your thoughts about the possible itenerary. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete